Exodus 14 Daily Bible Reading with Paul Nison
1. And יהוה spoke to Mosheh, saying,
2. “Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, that they turn and camp before Pi Haḥiroth, between Miḡdol and the sea, opposite Ba‛al Tsephon – camp before it by the sea.
3. For Pharaoh shall say of the children of Yisra’ĕl, ‘They are entangled in the land, the wilderness has closed them in.’ ”
4. And I shall strengthen the heart of Pharaoh, and he shall pursue them. But I am to be esteemed through Pharaoh and over all his army, and the Mitsrites shall know that I am יהוה. And they did so.
5. And it was reported to the sovereign of Mitsrayim that the people had fled, and the heart of Pharaoh and his servants was turned against the people. And they said, “Why have we done this, that we have let Yisra’ĕl go from serving us?”
6. So he made his chariot ready and took his people with him.
7. And he took six hundred choice chariots, and all the chariots of Mitsrayim with officers over all of them.
8. And יהוה strengthened the heart of Pharaoh sovereign of Mitsrayim, and he pursued the children of Yisra’ĕl, but the children of Yisra’ĕl went out defiantly.
9. And the Mitsrites pursued them, and all the horses and chariots of Pharaoh, and his horsemen and his army, and overtook them camping by the sea beside Pi Haḥiroth, before Ba‛al Tsephon.
10. And when Pharaoh drew near, the children of Yisra’ĕl lifted their eyes and saw the Mitsrites coming up after them. And they were greatly afraid, so the children of Yisra’ĕl cried out to יהוה.
11. And they said to Mosheh, “Did you take us away to die in the wilderness because there are no burial-sites in Mitsrayim? What is this you have done to us, to bring us up out of Mitsrayim?
12. Is this not the word that we spoke to you in Mitsrayim, saying, ‘Leave us alone and let us serve the Mitsrites?’ For it would have been better for us to serve the Mitsrites than to die in the wilderness.
13. And Mosheh said to the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the deliverance of יהוה, which He does for you today. For the Mitsrites whom you see today, you are never, never to see again.
14. יהוה does fight for you, and you keep silent.
15. And יהוה said to Mosheh, “Why do you cry to Me? Speak to the children of Yisra’ĕl, and let them go forward.
16. “And you, lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, and let the children of Yisra’ĕl go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.
17. “And I, see I am strengthening the hearts of the Mitsrites, and they shall follow them. And I am to be esteemed through Pharaoh and over all his army, his chariots, and his horsemen.
18. And the Mitsrites shall know that I am יהוה, when I am esteemed through Pharaoh, his chariots, and his horsemen.
19. And the Messenger of Elohim, who went before the camp of Yisra’ĕl, moved and went behind them. And the column of cloud went from before them and stood behind them,
20. and came between the camp of the Mitsrites and the camp of Yisra’ĕl. And it was the cloud and the darkness, and it gave light by night, and the one did not come near the other all the night.
21. And Mosheh stretched out his hand over the sea. And יהוה caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea into dry land, and the waters were divided.
22. And the children of Yisra’ĕl went into the midst of the sea on dry ground, and the waters were a wall to them on their right and on their left.
23. And the Mitsrites pursued and went after them into the midst of the sea, all the horses of Pharaoh, his chariots, and his horsemen.
24. And it came to be, in the morning watch, that יהוה looked down upon the army of the Mitsrites through the column of fire and cloud, and He brought the army of the Mitsrites into confusion.
25. And He took off their chariot wheels, so that they drove them with difficulty. And the Mitsrites said, “Let us flee from the face of Yisra’ĕl, for יהוה fights for them against the Mitsrites.”
26. Then יהוה said to Mosheh, “Stretch out your hand over the sea, and let the waters come back upon the Mitsrites, on their chariots, and on their horsemen.”
27. And Mosheh stretched out his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to its usual flow, at the break of day, with the Mitsrites fleeing into it. Thus יהוה overthrew the Mitsrites in the midst of the sea,
28. and the waters returned and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the army of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them, and not even one was left of them.
29. And the children of Yisra’ĕl walked on dry ground in the midst of the sea, and the waters were a wall to them on their right and on their left.
30. Thus יהוה saved Yisra’ĕl that day out of the hand of the Mitsrites, and Yisra’ĕl saw the Mitsrites dead on the seashore.
31. And Yisra’ĕl saw the great work which יהוה had done in Mitsrayim, and the people feared יהוה, and believed יהוה and His servant Mosheh.
Copyright© 1993 – 2015 by the Institute for Scripture Research (ISR). All rights reserved.
Music by Joseph Israel